Friday, December 5, 2008

Where's my soapbox...ahh, here it is!

Why do we waste our time on Grey's Anatomy? Why is Izzie sleeping with a dead person, still, shouldn't that have ended after one episode, or maybe two? Why does she think the sex is so great? He's dead, there's no one there so who in God's name is she having such great sex with? I know it isn't herself, I mean come on, no one is that good at masturbating. What's with that? It's no longer a good plot line, it's simply creepy if you ask me. Why do they always, always, always have to have sex with each other, none of them can have a relationship outside of their circle? Why can't they include nurses, who says nurses couldn't produce a good storyline other than sex with a doctor? Why can't any of them admit they are horrible residents who don't teach their interns shit which is why they resorted to surgery on one another? Do you realize that these interns have less responsibility than a med student in real life? That's f-ed up. The whole show is just f-ed, it's all about a good storyline and you know what, it creates such falsehoods. Do you realize the save rate on these medical shows is nearly 100%, do you know in reality I'd say as many people die that are saved on the show. So if in one show of Grey's, three patients are saved and one dies in real life it would be the opposite: one person would live and three would die. Not to mention the person who lived might have brain damage or be in the ICU for a long time and recover slowly.
I had a patient the other night who arrested at home, his heart stopped, despite 4 hours of CPR and medical intervention he died. Before he died, I was in the room and his son was at his bedside and do you know what he said, "on TV, they always look like this and then they get better, I think if we wait he'll get better." WHAT, on TV, this is reality man???!!! And he believed it, I could tell. And he was an adult, he wasn't a teenager or even 21 no he was older than me. I know about coping mechanisms and unrealistic expectations but I really do think TV shows create these unrealistic scenarios and non-medical people truly believe they are real. I want a disclaimer, maybe that would help. I want something at the beginning and end of the shows that says, "The stories presented here are by no means realistic or based on true events, these are fabrications that are dramatized for entertainment purposes." The sad thing is, it still wouldn't matter.
Jeez. And! I really don't know why I keep watching it, I think it might be because I'm waiting for them to redeem themselves somehow, medically. I'm hoping that one day, some Thursday night, they will show a semi-real scenario that I can say, "hmm, that's almost realistic". It infuriates me that I hold out for that, I waste these hours of my week, waiting for Hollywood to redeem itself. Dream on. I just can't quit you Grey's!

Okay, I'm stepping down from my soapbox now.

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

Do you know that you can get Gray's scrubs now? Uniform supply stores carry them as a name brand. I think I'll get you some for christmas. What color do you want them in? Oh, wait...

Amy Starkey said...

lol...you crack me up...i'm not into grey's as much as ER...i wish it wasn't ending this season...so sad...

Amanda Kent said...

Alright, now that you're off that soapbox, I'm climbing up on it! Gray's seriously pisses me off. I can't even watch it for entertainment value anymore. How is it that they're getting to AND leaving the hospital in DAYLIGHT? How are they NEVER on call??? How do they have TIME to sleep with each other??? The only time I saw daylight was when I looked out the windows of the hospital, or I was post-call. I didn't have any time to do anything but sleep! I had a freaking annoying pager that went EVERYWHERE with me. I had to do unglamorous things like checking labs, writing notes, rounding on patients and scheduling procedures. I had to write H&P's and discharge summaries. I wasn't performing fasciotomies without anesthesia on marathon runners in the ER. I wasn't first assist on cardiothroacic surgeries. I was running around the hospital hoping I didn't have to admit another patient and that none of the patients I had admitted tried to die. There were no Dr. McDreamies or McSteamies, and no call room sex. It was a good night if I even got to see the inside of the call room.

Don't even get me started on House. I hate that show, too.

Scrubs was far more realistic. At least they had call, did paperwork, got pimped and their codes didn't always make it.

Phew. Sorry about that.

Anonymous said...

What do you mean it isn't real? I like the show. Yes the whole Izzy sleeping with the dead guy is odd, but it still turns me on. Besides Meredith is hot and who wouldn't want to watch a show about her and her beautiful friends. Reminds me of the days of 90210. No you can't bring in any outsiders to the circle. Yes, there has to be a secret room to make out in. That's what the radio dj booth was for in 90210 where David and whats-her-face who got big boobs in between two episodes used to get it on. Donna, that's right. And the bar the Greys goup hangs out at is like the Peach Pit only Derek doesn't work there part-time. Kerev is like Steve Sanders, who never seems to get his act together until the perfect girl comes along. The only thing missing is the Brenda, Dillon, Kelly triangle. Well, there was that thing between Derrik, Meredith, and Chris O'Donnel, if you want to count that.
Sure they could make Greys more realistic. If you get the discovery channel you could watch Medical Mysteries or Mystery Diagnosis. Those are good, but definately not enough sex. Actually, there's no sex or yummy drama. Makes me thankful for Greys!

mommy nurse said...

Why do we watch! I too watch and wonder why is Izzie, the hot one, sleeping w/ a dead guy! Honestly it's nuts. We were talking about it last night and I heard why she is sleeping w/ a dead guy...have you heard? It will come out at the end of the season is my guess. Then this story line too will die, hopefully!

MoMologette said...

Well, now you have me curious mommy nurse! I just want to say that although I have been pretty annoyed with the whole "sex w/ a dead man" concept...I walked away from the TV Thurs night feeling really darn jealous. *I* want to figure out how to be that satisfied on my own...HA!! Geez...can you imagine... whats her secret...other than a dead man?? Too funny you blogged about this since we were just talking about it at work and I wondered if I'd work with you again to hash this last episode over. (I'm on that bad keyboard by the way, so pardon typos). Bottom-line for me...its brainless TV for vegging out, however I do totally agree that it sets terribly UNrealistic expectations for the general public.