Tuesday, September 6, 2011

5K

Well, I ran my first 5K in a year.  In fact, the 5K I ran on Monday was the exact 5K I ran last year that was my last race since Monday... did that make sense?  Anyhow, it's been one year since I've competed in a race... was I ready?  Nope.  Was I in shape?  Nope.  Was it unseasonably cold?  Yup.  Did I walk?  Just for a few moments while drinking water at the aid station.  Am I sore today? Yup.  Did I get chaffage?  Yup.
The problem:  finding a routine to get back into running/biking.  While Joc and I were home for 8 weeks, running was not a hard thing to find time to do.  I just had to feed Patrick before going out.  Now that I'm at work 5 days a week, I'm having a hard time finding that time.  I realize I'm full of excuses, let's just say that right off the bat.  "I'm tired"  "I'm not a early morning (5am) runner" "I want to spend as much time with Patrick since I don't see him all day"  "It's too hot"  I've used them all so far.  Bottom line:  I have to make time for running or exercise- it's my mental wellbeing we're talking about here.
I have a jogging stroller, many people say I can't put PJ in it until he's 6 months old.  Lord! I don't want to wait that long!  I get out of work and home by 5 or 6 everyday, I would like to start going out after work.  After I post this, I'm going to google my jogger and see if they have a recommended time that it's "okay" to put a baby in the jogger.  (I don't live on dirt roads, and I'm not a speedy runner so it's not like he's going to be jerked around!)
All I know is:  I ran that 5K in 33:14, that's the slowest 5K I might have ever done... I need to get moving again and feel good about myself again.

2 comments:

TB said...

girl you got out and RAN. that in and of itself is an accomplishment. great job mama and don't beat yourself up....too much :)

Jen said...

Damn, woman! Quit being so hard on yourself!!! You know when I last ran a 5k??? About our junior year of HIGH SCHOOL! You rock getting out and doing that only 3 short months after having a baby! And screw those people who say you have to wait until he is 6 months... Those are the same people that say "don't give them a bottle or pacifier until they are a month old". SERIOUSLY?!?! Who actually does that?! (and if you say you, I might have to fly up there to smack you!) He's going to be fine! If YOU are comfortable putting him in that stroller and going for a little jog, DO IT! You know what is best for him and my guess, 50% of the time, you will be home with a sleeping baby and the other 50% of the time, he will just be giggling going for a bouncy little ride with his Mommy!
Keep your head up and go easy on yourself! :)